Monday, March 21, 2011

Robles Wins National Championship

Anthony Robles, the senior wrestler from Arizona State who was born with only a left leg, was crowned National Champion Saturday night against Iowa's Matt McDonough.  The 125-pound match was essentially over in the first period, as Robles got out to fast start, while eventually winning 7-1.  The win capped off Robles' perfect season of 36-0, and showed the nation that anything is possible.  Robles stated in his post-match interview that the toughest thing about the win was just overcoming the pre-match jitters.


"I had a lot of butterflies going out there.,” said Robles, who admitted he’s most likely done as a competitive wrestler but wants to remain involved in one facet or another. “This year I think that was the biggest difference in my wrestling, was my mental game. Going into every match I was real relaxed, real calm. But before that, before this match, it was nothing but butterflies. I felt like I was going throw up, I was so scared I almost started crying.
“But it’s just the atmosphere. It’s the true athletes that are able to just overcome that."

No comments:

Post a Comment